The Viola Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1855 in Greene Township. Viola began as a part of the Berlin (now Swedona) circuit from 1855 to 1857 and was served by a circuit rider (a preacher or layman who rode horseback to each settlement in Mercer and Warren counties and part of Rock Island County).
In 1883, Viola was made the head of the Viola-New Windsor charge when their membership began to rise. With this increased growth a larger church was built in 1904. Additionally, the church was renamed in 1968 when a merger occurred between the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren.
In 1969 a new Education Wing was built housing five classrooms, an office, a small kitchen, boiler room, and restrooms. Then again in 1985 a Fellowship Hall, more restrooms, and full commercial kitchen was built to accommodate the growing congregation.
In October 2015 Viola UMC celebrated their 160th Anniversary. With "Open Heart, Open Minds and Open Doors"" the Viola UMC continues to serve the generation of today and tomorrow by "Making Disciples of Jesus Christ for the Transformation of the World."
God is Good! All the time, God is Good!